Yes, the list could be endless but these are 10 of the most helpful items we have found when traveling with young twins.
1. SLEEPING TENT from KidCo Peapod, Cranberry. These are small, light tents that can be easily packed in a suitcase. Your lodging choices are very limited when traveling abroad. Many have no cribs or pack-n-plays, some have one, virtually none can accommodate twins. These rents were irreplaceable for us time and again when the girls were young. (Note: previously there was a safety recall, but they are now back on the market.)
2. BRITAX MARATON Britax Marathon 70 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx (Old). Solid, highly-rated car seats. Ours have been brutally handled on 6 continents and are still in use every day 5 years later.
3. DOUBLE STROLLER. Ours was the older version of Combi Fold N Go Double Stroller. We prefer light, side-by-side twin strollers. I thought this stroller was too flimsy at first, but it proved me wrong. It held up well under extreme, punishing conditions for 5 years. We did have to replace the wheels eventually as we wore them down to nothing. It is now happily retired and still in good enough condition to be put up for sale.
4. SWADDLING BLANKET. Summer Infant SwaddleMe Microfleece Adjustable Infant They started out in a small space snuggled together in the womb so why not swaddle them tightly when they come out? Our girls were swaddled in the same crib together for 3 months. Once they started rolling, we split them into their own cribs but kept on swaddling until they were 5 months old. We never traveled without the swaddling blanket and it really helped them with jetlag. There are also different styles as your child grows.
5. WUBBANUB PACIFIER. Wubbanub Infant Plush Toy Pacifier – Monkey. Soothies are great. They are a pacifier that doubles as a toy (and vice versa). They are big enough that they are hard to lose when out and about. We have had strangers in multiple countries bringing them back to us before we even knew one had been ejected from the stroller.
6. BIB. BABYBJÖRN Soft Bib. Best. Bibs. Ever. I have no idea why people bother with cloth bibs. There is more than enough laundry already and they always look dirty. These bibs are simply awesome. They are plastic with a tray at the bottom that catches the bulk (but by no means all) of the food and drink that misses, spills or gets spit out of babies’ mouths. A quick rinse and they are ready for the next meal. Perfect when we travel and have no time or facilities to do laundry. We bought 2 bibs and our girls used them til they were 4 years old. Simply awesome.
7. BABY WISE BOOK. Greatest book ever for families with twins. Many would argue against that statement, I suppose, but this book gave us the foundation that allows us to live and travel efficiently. We by no means followed it to the letter, but we DID follow the basic premise of getting our twins on the same schedule. They were on the same schedule from birth and both sleeping through the night by 9 weeks of age. It’s hard to argue with that kind of success.
8. HANDS FREE BIB. Hands Free Bottle Holder Multi-Purpose Bib. If you are using bottles and have a good feeder(s), these pillows can free up hands during feeds. I can’t thank the inventor enough for making our lives so much easier.
9. DISPOSABLE BOTTLE LINERS. Playtex Drop-Ins BPA-Free Bottle Liners for Playtex Nurser Bottles. Perfect for long flight and long distance roadtrips when bottle cleaning is almost not possible. The liner is also light and easier to pack than bulky glass bottles. I also used it with my breast pump adapter and it was very convenient to breast pump when traveling. It comes pre-sterilized.
10. TOY STRAPS. Baby Buddy Secure-A-Toy Traveling with babies involves keeping them entertained. We always brought pacifiers and toys such as Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy, Nuby Icybite Hard/Soft Teething Keys and Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether. How to keep the toys together so they can grab them and play with them while you are climbing the steps and looking at the map (without having them thrown into the river)? With Baby Buddy strap, we kept the toys close at hand. It snapped easily to car seats, strollers and high chairs. We even strapped it to their leak proof water bottles.